Babywearing is an attachment method that is practiced in many other cultures, however is not as popular in Western civilization. There are many rewards to keeping your child in-arms. Your baby is already use to hearing your heartbeat and feeling your movement and continuing this outside the womb will help your baby adapt to the world around them easier.Advantages to babywearing include:
- Makes babies feel more secure by extending the womb experience.
- Babies cry less.
- Babies feel less fear and loneliness.
- Mother’s progesterone (mothering hormone) is increased through physical contact with baby.
- Develop more intimate parental bond.
- Easier breastfeeding. Can even be accomplished hands-free!
- Comfortably do chores while baby is content.
- Babies receive better care. It’s easier to respond to their needs and read their cues.
- Lowers incidence of postpartum depression and psychosomatic illness.
- Don’t have to carry heavy and awkward strollers or car-seats.
- Babies are much more calm.
- Stimulates senses. Babies can be see, hear, smell, touch and taste mother.
- Mother’s motions help baby with neural development, gastrointestinal and respiratory health.
- Establishes balance and muscle tone.
- Babies have higher IQ’s and brain mass.
- Infants are more organized feeling the parent’s rhythms.
- Communication, body language and facial expressions are more observed which helps baby’s own language skills.
- Babies remain in a quiet state of alertness which is ideal for learning.
- Aggression is diminished.
- Provides a more secure attachment to parent, which promotes trust and security. Better emotional health for moms and babies.
- Easier on parents’ backs as weight is distributed more evenly. (with proper slings)
- Babies see and experience life at your level, both physically and to a degree mentally which is important for development.
- Allows child to be part of the action and interact.
- Great for pre-mature infants. Research shows they gain weight quicker when held near their mothers.
- It’s a safe place to be.
- It’s easy and convenient to wear your baby.
- It’s great exercise for mom. You gradually increase the weight you carry.
- Slings are less expensive than strollers.
Slings provide a great alternative to carrying your baby. Slings come in various styles, fabrics and colors. Most of them are extremely comfortable for your child. Beware of carriers that hold your child by the hips only as all their weight on the hips can be stressful to the body. You want your child’s weight to be evenly distributed and fully supported, especially newborns. I’ve found the best slings are the fabric wraps or ring slings. Babywearing can be achieved in a handful of ways and often times they provide a video to show you how to do it properly. Babies and toddlers alike love to be close to you and know they are safe. Babywearing allows children to examine the world at their own pace in the security of your arms.
do follow the link for full article...
the nice things about it now after wearing baby Cassandra for as long as i can remember...is not that she runs and hide whenever seeing me with a new BabyWombie sling/pouch, she come and wanted to be in it! gladly i have a very willing model to help me with pictures...all smiles...
she is big girl now too...at 16kg! she is only 16 months old...come to think about this, she IS still a small girl of 1 year + 4 months old only...somehow she seem much advance for her age...
sigh...i may not have a model soon...